Thursday, September 17, 2015

Blog 5 - Interview 1 Reflection




1. What is the most important thing I learned from the interview?  Is there anything I would do differently for other interviews?
  • The most important thing I learned from this interview would have to be that it is important to have extremely open ended questions so that the interviewee has plenty of things to say. In this interview my mentor had actually asked me to see the questions in advance which was probably a good idea. It gave her some extra time to think of what to say and perhaps come up with extra details that she probably would have forgotten if she had been asked these questions on the spot. In my next interview I will definitely send the questions to my interviewee a few more days in advance, I also think it helps them feel more prepared and perhaps less nervous. 


2. Did I get additional resources and contacts?  What is the most useful?  Why?
  • I actually did get some additional contacts from my mentor. After the interview she gave me the phone number of one of her friends who currently owns two restaurants and then she had introduced me to this friend and we all had a good talk. I mentioned the possibility of an interview and long story short I'm pretty sure I have my "Interview 2" already set up. 

3. What makes my interviewee qualified to help me?
  • Well my interviewee is actually my mentor and she has had  prior experience when it comes to business start ups, with her previous catering business. She has also graduated from business administration with a finance major from Cal Poly Pomona. I feel that this interview has helped me learn a bit more about my mentor and her motivation, intentions and ideas. She also happened to have some connections with some current business owners which helped me a lot for future interviews.  
To listen to my interview please click the link below.                            

1 comment:

  1. I'm a little confused about your sound quality. Was your interview in person? You want to make sure it is, okay?

    Also, I'm so glad that you got another interviewee, but the next interview should be with your aunt again since it is supposed to be your mentor : ) That doesn't mean that you shouldn't schedule an interview with anyone you can as it's always good research. You can also use that person for your third or fourth interview.

    ReplyDelete